The religious architecture is of a great variety and richness, being determined by the variety of the cults represented in the territory covered by I.D.A. Călimani – Giurgeu (Roman-Catholic, Protestant, Unitarian, Orthodox, Greek-Catholic, Armenian-Catholic), but also by the building techniques by using wood (the town of Borsec) or the building eras ( 13th to the 19th centuries) and by the architectural constitutive elements (the church, the bell tower church, the chapel, the religious ensemble, the cloister, etc.).
Toplița places of worship
The St. Eli Monastery has been founded by the First Patriarch of the Romanian Orthodox Church, Dr. Elie Miron Cristea. From 1928 the establishment functions as a friary. The Museum of the St. Prophet Eli Monastery of Toplița has been consecrated and inaugurated on the 30th of May 1995. The permanent exposition includes an important 18th century wooden icons fund and fragments of the wooden church´s old iconostasis.
The Lady´s Monastery from Moglănești, declared a historical monument, is a community life nunnery, built by the Moldavian Prince Gheorghe Ștefan´s wife, Lady Safta, in the year 1658. The monastery is a symbol of the historical and spiritual relations between the Romanian Provinces, with the local early Transylvanian architecture.
The Gura Izvorului Hermitage is located at 17 km. away from the town, on the road to Călimani Mountains. This hermitage is consecrated to all the saints, celebrating its patrons on the first Sunday after the Pentecost.
Borsec places of worship
The Orthodox Church from Borsec – it was built in 1847 (Roman-Catholic at first, it became Greek-Catholic and finally Orthodox). It is considered a cultural and architectural monument.
Bilbor places of worship
The „St. Nicholas” Orthodox Church – a monument built between 1795 and 1797, at lies at around 100 m. from the locality, on its eastern side. It is built of wood and it had particularly valuable murals. Also, the ten icons in the church are masterpieces of the naïve art.
The Roman-Catholic Church (no.203) – a wooden church, built in the year 1899. The church burnt in the year 1990, the fire melting even the small bell.
Gălăuțaș places of worship
The Assumption of the Mother of our Lord´s Orthodox Church, built of wood in 1791, has been brought in 1903 from Toplița and rebuilt on its present place. The church is an architectural monument, according to the Harghita County´s monuments register (1992). Recommended tourist trail: from Gălăuțaș-Pârâu on the creek´s valley to Bătrâna peak.
Subcetate places of worship
The „St. Dimitri” Orthodox Church – built in 1902, a gothic style stone church;
„The Holy Trinity” Othodox Church – built of wood, in Filpea village, in the year 1997;
The „St. Peter” Greek-Catholic Chapel – built of wood, in the year 1993.
Tulgheș places of worship
„The Holy Archangels” Church, built of wood in 1813, covered with shingles and bearing both Romanian and Székely construction elements.
The „St. Peter and Paul” wooden chapel located under Rezu Mare and built in 1922.
Father Marc´s wooden church from 1790, which still exists today, has been renovated and it is located nearby the First World War Heroes Cemetery. Here there have also been discovered the ruins of a school.
The old life style´s perfume is kept in the peasant households of Bilbor (Răchitiș), Corbu, Subcetate: wooden houses and masonry (sawed wood ornaments), the Household of Teslovan Petru from Sărmaș (no. 1044) built at the beginning of the 20th century, in Subcetate the Household of Cotfas Vasile (no.405 – house and barn) – a monument, the wooden house of Aurel from the 19th century (in Valea Frumoasă, opposite house no.74) and the peasant household of Timaru Nicolae in Rezu Mare (no.100) from Tulgheș.
Technical installations (mills, saw mills, grinder sheds, felting mills), preserved and harnesses in situ – offering an almost complete image of the life – especially in the rural area – from the 19th to the 20th century, which we find in Tulgheș: water mills, Olaru Gheorghe´s mill (in Valea Frumoasă, no. 50), from 1875, the lime kiln of Apostol Gheorghe (in Valea Frumoasă, nearby no. 815) and in Subcetate – Hurubă Ioan´s mill from 1937 (no.479) – which is a monument.