Galautas ( Galócás in Hungarian ) is a commune located in Harghita County, Transylvania, Romania. It is composed of the villages: Galautas ( centre ), Dealu Armanului, Gălăuțaș-Pârâu, Nuțeni, Plopiș, Preluca, Toleșeni and Zăpodea.
Situated on the upper Mureș river, at an altitude of 650 – 700 m., surrounded by the Giurgeu and Gurghiu mountains, the locality has been first mentioned in 1768. Winters are particularly frosty, the wide pastures and meadows allow the livestock development, an important potential in the commune´s agrarian culture. The once very strong industrial development was decelerated by the lost of the sawmill, and agriculture is not favoured due to the sloping land. The development of the locality is therefore due, generally, to the exploitation of the surrounding forest.
The Monument of the First and Second World War Romanian Heroes. The crucifix was risen in 1973, in the memory of the Romanian heroes of the two World Wars. The monument, 2.65 m. high, has been made of oak wood, carved and donated by the teachers Ioan Concita and Antal Irimia from Toplița. On the front side of the crucifix there has been written: „Our gratitude to the heroes who died in the wars of 1914-1918 and 1941-1945”.
The grave of the First and Second World War Romanian Heroes. The common grave is located in the cemetery. This is the eternal resting place for the Romanian heroes fallen in the two World Wars. The number of the people buried in the grave is unknown. The head insignia is made of iron and includes the following memorial writing: „In the memory of the heroes fallen for defending the country during the First and the Second World War 1914-1944. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori”.
For more details enter www.primariagalautas.ro