poze-tulghes-55

The Commune of Tulghes

[layerslider id=”13″]

Dear visitor, if you come to the Tulgheș commune, you may have a great time, spending it in a nice and useful way. You will find the hiking trails on the electronic map, indicated yet from entering the commune centre.

Sightseeing:

  • The wood chapel „Sf. Petru și Pavel” of the Rezu Mare village, first mentioned in 1922.
  • The lime kiln of Apostol Sabin, which was working in the 19th century, at the entrance from Borsec-Corbu, on the left.
  • The water, saw and felt mills of Olar Gheorghe, Tulgheș, no. 50, first mentioned in 1975.
  • The wooden church „Sf. Arhangheli Mihail și Gavriil”, Pârăul lui Marc, Tulgheș, no. 239, first mentioned in 1828. We celebrate the Ascension on the same date as the Heroes´ Day, like all Romanians do. The steeple´s roof has been fixed with the help of the community, in 1976. Over two decades ago, in 1989, 49 of the soldiers of the 28th Infantry Brigade, who have fallen in the line of duty in the battles waged in the area during the First World War, on Valea Jidanului, Covorea, Valea Putnei, Pietrele Roșii, Baret (initially buried on Higheș Mountain ), have been reburied with honours in the courtyard of this church, which is also a historical monument.
  • Mineral water springs: the commune of Tulgheș has a number of 11 mineral water springs, from which we enumerate only a few: Marc´s spring, Pintic spring, Prisecani spring, Diacul spring, Cibeni spring and Huian spring.
  • The „Pietrele Roșii” natural reserve, which includes a forest fund with a surface of 14 ha.

Pietrele Roșii Mountain has an altitude of 1215 m. and it is made of limestone. The reserve, through its endemic species, is of phyto-geographical importance, because of the discovery of Astragalus Romeri by Römer in 1891, species which is found on a very small area in our country; from the important plant elements we mention the following : Delphinium Simonkaniamum, Nieracium Pojoritense, Poa Rechmani and Silene Zawadazkii. Mammal species in the reserve: the common deer, the brown bear, the wild boar, the roebuck, the wolf, the chamois and the wild cat; birds: the mountain rooster and the grouse; reptiles: Vipera Berus, Lacetra Agilis and Lacetra Vivipera.

  • The century-old oak tree is also worth remembering, a tree that reaches the age of 500 as the people of the commune testify, but the specialists say that by its size it may be older. It is found in the Poiana Nouă village, not far from the centre of the commune. Let us not forget that the most beautiful Christmas tree in Vatican has been taken from our mountains and a crucifix has been put in its place.
  • Festivals: the „Roata Stelelor” Dance Festival, bearing the name of one of the traditional dances from our area and which has already reached its 9th edition by 2015.

 

The Shepherd´s Festival, which has reached its 7th edition, is organised by the care of ABA Tulgheș ( the Animal Breeders´ Association ) and it is held usually on the last Sunday of September or on the first Sunday of October.

The Carpathian Mountains´ Festival, which reached its 2nd edition since 2014.

  • We celebrate the following patronages: on the 21st of May – St. Constantine and Helen in Hagota; on the 29th of June – St. Peter and Paul in Zezu Mare; on the 20th of July – St. Eli in Pintic; on the 15th of August – The Assumption of the Mother of our Lord in Tulgheș; on the 14th of October – St. Paraskevi in Valea Frumoasă; on the 26th of October – St. Dimitri in Poiana Veche; on the 8th of November – St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel in Pârâu lui Marc.
  • We celebrate the day of our commune around the 15th of August, at the same time as the Saint patron of both the Orthodox and Roman-Catholic churches celebrating the Dormition of the Mother of our Lord;
  • Annual fairs: there are the spring fair, which starts three days before St. George´s ( on the 23rd of April ) and the autumn fair, which starts three days before St. Dimitri´s ( on the 26th of October );
  • The „Plaiuri Tulgheșene” ensemble makes sure that the moral and the cultural patrimony to be alive and visible.

We expect you in the Tulghes commune to meet our people who are very welcoming and you must absolutely know that the air here is, according to the specialists, the purest in the country.

For further details enter www.tulghes.ro

The town of Toplita

[layerslider id=”6″]

Geography

The town of Toplita is located in the northern area of the Giurgeu ( Gheorgheni ) Depression on the upper Mureș river, being surrounded by the Călimani, Giurgeu and Gurghiu Mountains. The „Bradul” thermal spring, flowing at a speed of 10 l/sec., having a temperature of 27,5ºC, is located at an altitude of 650 m., near the town. This spring´s water is collected in a basin, being actually a clear water pool. The second spring is near the town centre, by the train station. It is collected in a swimming pool, having the same structure as the „Bradul” spring, a temperature of 25ºC and flowing at a speed of 8 l/sec.

History

According to the coordinates of Ptolemeus, there would have been a Dacian stronghold in the town area, namely Sangidava, undiscovered on the ground. Szekely families began to settle here during the 13th century. The first documentary mention dates back to 1567. It has been declared a town in 1956, and in 2002 it obtained the title of municipality.

Etymology

The town has gone through several name changes : Taplócza, Toplicza, Gyergyó-Toplicza, since the 3rd of February 1861 – Olah – Toplicza, then from the 1st of January 1907 – Mároshévíz until 1918 when it received the name of Toplita Română. In both languages, Hungarian and Romanian, the name means „hot water spring”; the first word is from Romanian, of Slavic origin.

Economy

The town´s main economic branch is the logging and wood processing industry ( furniture factories, timber, chipboard ). The textile, footwear industry are also quite developped, along with the farming and bakery industries, tourism and transport.

Education

There are 6 schools within the area of the town, 3 of them being highschools. These are: „Miron Cristea” – primary school, Primary school no.4, „Octavian Codru Tăslăuanu” – Theoretical Highschool, „Mihai Eminescu” Highschool, „Kemény János” Highschool and „Andrei Șaguna” primary school.

Visit also www.toplita.ro

The commune of Bilbor

[layerslider id=”7″]

Location

The commune of Bilbor is situated at an altitude of 900 – 1,035 m., in the extreme north of Harghita County, at the foot of Călimani Mountains, in the valley of the river Bistricioara. It is formed of two villages, namely Bilbor ( centre of the commune ) and Răchitiș, and it lies at the intersection of the following geographical coordinates: 45º04´ North latitude and  25º29´ East longitude.

Sightseeing

-The „Sf. Nicolae” wooden church, of Christian Orthodox faith, built between 1795 and 1797, declared a historical monument, located in the centre of the locality ( the graveyard area );

-The „Dobreanu” mineralised swamp, with a surface of approx. 3 ha., a very important natural reserve of peat and various species of plants and shrubs, located at a distance of approx. 1,5 km. from the centre of the locality;

-„Mesteacănul pitic” natural reserve, located by Pârâul Rușilor, with a surface of approx. 0,20 ha., located at a distance of approx. 4,5 km. from the centre of the locality;

-Numerous mineral water springs from which water can be consumed in its natural state;

-Various hiking trails in areas with particularly appealing landscapes which can be crossed by foot;

Main events:

-On the 29th of June, on the occasion when we celebrate the saint patrons of „Sf. Apostoli Petru și Pavel” Orthodox church, the days of the commune are being organised yearly, under the slogan „CELEBRATING BILBOR”, when different cultural and artistic events take place outdoors;

-On the first Sunday of May and on the 14th of October, the „Merchandise and animal fair” takes place yearly, a fair to which all neighbouring localities participate;

Culinary Traditions

-The typical cheese polenta; the topcit (melted cow or sheep cheese mixed with green onions and bacon); the balmoș ( a sort of polenta made with maize flour and sour cream ); sour milk ( in a small barrel ) and many others.

For details visit also http://primariabilbor.ro/

The Commune of Corbu

[layerslider id=”9″]

The Corbu commune is localised between Bistrița Mountains (Mt. Comarnic) and Giurgeu Mountains ( of the subgroup of Borsec Mountains ) and on the valley of the river Bistricioara, an affluent of the river Bistrița. The Corbu crest (1,173 m.) rises to south of Capu Corbului; to south of Corbu – the Corhan Mountain, and to the north – the Bâtca Arsurilor Peak (1,385 m. ). To the south – east it neighbours the commune of Tulgheș and the town of Borsec to the west, as well as Bilbor to the north – east. The hydrographical network is formed of the river Bistricioara with its affluents: Vinul Mare from west, Pârâul Savului from north, Argintăria Satului and Barasău and Pârâul Corbu from south.

According to the census conducted in 2011, the population of the Corbu commune reaches the number of 1,520 inhabitants, but compared to the 2002 census, when there were 1,601 inhabitants registered, the numbers are decreasing. Most of them are Romanian ( 83.95 % ). The main minorities are the Hungarian ( 9.01 % ) and the Roma ( 4.74 % ). For 2.3 % of the population, the ethnicity is unknown.

In what concerns the confession, most of the inhabitants are Orthodox (87.95 %), with a minority of Roman-Catholics ( 9.08 % ). For 2.43 % of the population, the confession is unknown.

Corbu commune and Capu Corbului are situated on DN 15, which connects Toplița to Târgu Mureș and Bacău. Following the DJ 174 B, which is an unmodernised forest road, one may reach Bilbor.

The main professions of the inhabitants are: the primary processing of wood, livestock farming ( favoured by the many pastures and meadows ), farming ( a small percent of the fields are arable ), fish farming ( in Corbu there are six trout farms ), beekeeping.

On Valea Corbului there is a micro-hydropower plant.

The locality is electrified, connected to a sewerage network serving the centre of the commune, equipped with an inspectorate for emergency services. Also, the inhabitants have access to land line services (via optic fibre) and mobile services, as well as cable TV.

There are two primary schools for the 1st to 8th classes and one high school. The medical office is served by a GP.

The climate in the area is of mountain type, chilly, with an annual thermic average of 4ºC, with rich rainfalls of approx. 800 mm. per year.

Formerly the commune belonged to Tulgheș.

In 1837 there was a lead mine by the village border.

Around the commune there are: the Bâtca Rocks, the Narcissus Meadow – for which steps are being taken to declare it a reserve, 5 mineral water springs and the Tunnels built by the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

In the commune there are also: the Cemetery of the First World War Romanian Heroes               (located in the yard of the Orthodox church from Capu Corbului , containing 40 individual graves ), the Monument of the First World War Romanian Heroes ( an obelisk raised in 1930 in the yard of the Corbu church ). The names of the 60 soldiers fallen in the line of duty and the regiments of which they were part are written on the front side of the monument.

Local personalities

Valer Dorneanu – attorney and politician, President of the Chamber of Deputies between 15th of December 2000 and December 2004.

For further details enter www.primariacorbuhr.ro

The Commune of Subcetate

[layerslider id=”12″]

The Subcetate commune is located in the valley of the upper Mureș river, in the north-west part of Giurgeu Depression, limited to the south-eastern side by the river Mureș and to the north-west by the Giurgeu Mountains.

It has a strong ascendant landscape from the river meadow – 700 m. altitude to the Giurgeu Mountains – over 1600 m. altitude.

It covers an area of 5,166 m.

The commune is composed of four villages: Subcetate, Filpea, Călnaci and Duda. The population of the locality according to the last census (2011) is of 1920 of inhabitants, the ethnic composition being the following: 94.8 % Romanians, 3.8 % Hungarians, 1.4 % Roma, of which 97 % are Orthodox, 2.3 % are Roman-Catholic and 0.7 % are Uniate.

The locality is first mentioned at the beginning of the 18th century, the year 1722 respectively, under the name of Varviz.

The education system is structured thusly: pre-school, primary, professional (arts and crafts ) and high school, the representative school unit being „Miron Cristea ” High school, the first of this kind from the area covered by IDA Călimani – Giurgeu.

In terms of tourism, the locality is attractive by its nature and its diversified landscape: the river Mureș is permanently sought for by the fishing amateurs for the catches in its waters or by the huntsmen, whose marks are the muskrats and the wild ducks, and the meadow gives birth in spring to the endemic motley tulip.

The wide meadows and natural pastures are those which, together with the coniferous forests, feed the inhabitants of this place.

Being both hard-working and proud, the people have developed their own rules and created their own scale of economic, social and cultural values.

In terms of economy, the inhabitants of the commune had the means of their arms and their land. With these, they have forged lasting households and families who last from its beginnings.

Their own spiritual values have been created around them, materialised in the garb, traditions and customs which covered the whole circle of life, from the birth to death.

Proof of the things enumerated stand today the exhibits from the local museum or the Collection of traditional costumes of Mrs. Doina Dobrean , located on Protopop Vasile Urzică street.

As a simple tourist, I would like to feel the strong air winter air, or the fragrant summer air, to walk on the long paths of the hills to the mountain top, to taste the spring water from the fir trees´ roots and to delight my eyes with the sight of this piece of heaven.

As son of the village, I would like to relive all I felt as a child or teenager, to see my relatives and friends and return to my origins. This happens every year at the „Village sons´ meeting” or on the 26th of October (on „Sâmedru” ) when celebrating our saint patron – St. Dimitri.

For more details enter www.subcetate.senap.ro

The town of Borsec

[layerslider id=”4″]

The depression begins to be inhabited around the end of the 18th century, between 1769 and 1773 respectively, when the first establishments appeared, occasion on which the fame of the mineral waters with their healing effects spreads.

A demographic explosion is recorded with the building of the first bottle factory, so necessary for the bottling of the mineral water, between 1804 and 1806. Due to an ambitious Austrian entrepreneur, Antal Zimmethausen, who, at that time spent all his fortune and even ruined his health during the many years of trials with the legal authorities and with the land owners of that time, from whom he leased the lands on which Borsec lies today.

The most precious resource is the mineral water with its beneficial effects. The qualities of these waters have been studied along the centuries by numerous doctors and specialists of those times, beginning with the 16th century, when the Italian doctor Bucella prescribes  the prince Sigismund Báthory a cure of „the water of a spring from Borsec”.

The studies and lectures of doctor Krantz from Vienna follow, who, around 1770, describes the qualities of these waters, and in 1973, in a medical magazine issued at Sibiu, doctor Neustadler presents a scientific exposition on the waters of Borsec.

The formalisation of the spa tourism happens in 1918, when the first resort enterprise is founded, which has as a primary task erasing the traces of the First World War and rebuilding the resort´s infrastructure. The greatest revival is observed during the interwar period – then most of the villas are being built, keeping the same architectonical style with its wonderful wooden laces.

An acknowledgement proof of the resort´s development is also the fact that, in 1937, the International Congress of Balneology is held here, with representatives from many countries with tradition in this field.

The communist regime entails major changes in the activity of the spa tourism. Thus the nationalisation of the villas, spas, restaurants is initiated, all these forming the material base of the Balneary Local Enterprise ( Borsec B.L.E. ) – the State enterprise which will manage the tourism activity, later receiving the name of Balneary – Climatic Enterprise ( Borsec B.C.E. ).

In time, they proceed to changes brought to the villas to be able to operate during the cold season, drinking water pipes and sewers are integrated, works with positive effects – by increasing the comfort – are undergone, but also with negative effects – by the fact that they have led to the premature depreciation of many buildings, due to the inadequate quality of the insulating works, most of them being built of wood.

During all this time a lot of tourists have been parading through Borsec, tourists who have found here rest and leisure conditions, but who also have cured the many ailments they suffered.

After the Revolution of December 1989, the deficiencies in legislation, an unsuccessful privatisation and the political games determined that the resort decline at a vertiginous pace, reaching up to the exclusion from the balneary and touristic system of national interest.

The evolution of the last few years gives hope of revival and development of tourism at the desired level, so that Borsec resort takes its deserved place on the firmament of the renowned resorts.

Visit also www.primaria-borsec.ro

The commune of Gălăuțaș

[layerslider id=”10″]

Galautas ( Galócás in Hungarian ) is a commune located in Harghita County, Transylvania, Romania. It is composed of the villages: Galautas ( centre ), Dealu Armanului, Gălăuțaș-Pârâu, Nuțeni, Plopiș, Preluca, Toleșeni and Zăpodea.

Situated on the upper Mureș river, at an altitude of 650 – 700 m., surrounded by the Giurgeu and Gurghiu mountains, the locality has been first mentioned in 1768. Winters are particularly frosty, the wide pastures and meadows allow the livestock development, an important potential in the commune´s agrarian culture. The once very strong industrial development was decelerated by the lost of the sawmill, and agriculture is not favoured due to the sloping land. The development of the locality is therefore due, generally, to the exploitation of the surrounding forest.

Memorial objectives

The Monument of the First and Second World War Romanian Heroes. The crucifix was risen in 1973, in the memory of the Romanian heroes of the two World Wars. The monument, 2.65 m. high, has been made of oak wood, carved and donated by the teachers Ioan Concita and Antal Irimia from Toplița. On the front side of the crucifix there has been written: „Our gratitude to the heroes who died in the wars of 1914-1918 and 1941-1945”.

The grave of the First and Second World War Romanian Heroes. The common grave is located in the cemetery. This is the eternal resting place for the Romanian heroes fallen in the two World Wars. The number of the people buried in the grave is unknown. The head insignia is made of iron and includes the following memorial writing: „In the memory of the heroes fallen for defending the country during the First and the Second World War 1914-1944. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori”.

For more details enter www.primariagalautas.ro